Life would be pretty meaningless without it. For many different reasons I have been thinking about friendship lately. I have been blessed with so many wonderful people in my life and I would like to showcase them a bit. They have shaped me I to who I am today, so its only fair right?
I can't think of a better way to start out then to tell you about a friend named Brooke. I was in 4th grade and pretty lonely. The two previous years had been hard on me. A best friend that had changed her allegiances had left me feeling pretty lonely but much wiser. I had learned that I would always been a good and loyal friend. I would be the bigger person.
It was a new school year and Brooke was in my class for the first time. Years before, I had been to her house to play and so we definitely knew each other but we were by no means close friends. We instantly hit it off.
She was the most loyal friend I could have asked for. I knew she would always have my back, and never talk behind my back. Everyone else knew it too. They would be just plain silly to even try, because everyone knew what kind of friend Brooke was. A loyal one. I was loyal right back at her!
We were practically attached at the hip. We did almost everything together, including vacationing with eachother's families. Our families called us the Bobsy twins. Being the same size, height (not anymore!), and having the same hair color made us very close to twinish. (I know it's not a word.) We even tricked our families on occasion! I can't tell you how many times her Dad called me Brooke when he saw me from behind.
We spent so much time singing Backstreet boys, playing in her basement, jumping on her tramp, and talking about boys a LOT! We ate Ice cream like it was our job and even had our own ice cream bowls. We laughed more than I thought was possible and we cried sometimes too. Like the day I had to tell her that I was moving to New Jersey. Yes, we cried.
While I was in New Jersey, Brooke moved to a different part of Utah. When I moved back to Utah we attended different highschools, had a different set of friends, and yet we remained friends. Every time I saw her it was as if time had stood still.
We had countless conversations where we discussed boys and heartache. We built eachother up (atleast I KNOW she always built me up!) Even though we no longer lived right by one another we frequently met up at a Starbucks to enjoy a good cinnamon Steamer or Cafe Rio to enjoy a DELICIOUS pork Salad. ON occassion she would come hang out with my friends and I with hers. Memory after memory was created.
Now I live in the heat of a dessert and she lives in chilly Alaska. Yet, I still count her as one of my closest friends. We don't talk tons, because life is busy and yet when we do...time stands still once again. I'm always comfortable with Brooke.
There is something that Brooke taught me more than anything though. How to be a good person. Brooke has taught me and always inspires me to be closer with my Heavenly Father. She is the kind of friend you want to be around because she is the kind of person you want to be. Every conversation is uplifting and inspiring. She is a wonderful journal keeper and I whenever I slack on my journal writing skills I think of Brooke and it makes me want to do better. I remember having so many conversations with Brooke about God, our Faith, gaining testimonies, and receiving answers to prayer. I feel so blessed to have had so many spiritual experiences with this very special friend. She does not like to gossip, she tries to stay positive, and is seriously the most thoughtful and sweetest person I know. I count my blessings everyday to be counted among her friends.
Brooke, brookiebob11, you are the greatest and I love you. Thanks for being a life saver for me in my life over and over again.
EHG**(only Brooke will get this!)


3 comments:
Ah! What a sweet post. Brooke's a good one. I love how you described her here... and even though I don't know her extremely well, I'll agree with everything you said! She just radiates goodness. :)
Wow I feel so lucky! I definitely don't think I am as good as you described, but thank you :) That just made my whole day Laur. You are awesome. I love all those memories and the "parties" we used to go to. :) You're the best! Thank you for everything you do!! Lots of love bob :) (EHG ... hahahahahah! :))
Love you Lauren!
Post a Comment