Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Tasty Tuesday: PESTO!


So i have decided to start organizing my blog a little bit more... filling it not only with the happenings in my little family but also filling it with the things that I enjoy and love the most! Some of you who know me well know that I LOVE to cook... I cook every night, and although not every night is a fancy meal... most nights I do try to make it something healthy, and well balanced. So.. every tuesday I will share one of my favorite recipes, or something cooking related!

PESTO! How many of you have never had a pesto sauce? How many of you are wondering.... what is pesto? I can't believe how many people say that to me... really? PESTO IS THE BEST! I drool just thinking about it. Steve's mom gave me this recipe and it is the best I have ever tried. I usually make 2-3 batches at a time and put 2 of them in the freezer for later meals.

What can you put Pesto on? ANYTHING! Seriously... we put it on fish, pasta, ravioli, new england red potatoes, pizza, parmesan chicken(or any type of chicken), mashed potatoes, sourdough toast, garlic bread, chips, the list goes on. I've always thought it would be good to eat with a nice juicy steak but I haven't tried that yet.

Tips:
- Buy the pine nuts at Costco... you'll get a bigger amount for cheaper.. if you try to buy them at the grocery store you will get a teeny itty bitty bag for $6 or more. A bag at costco will last you around 4-5 times of making pesto.
- Buy the basil in bulk if you can. If you have a Trader Joe's (my favorite place in the world) then that is the cheapest place to buy the basil. Some smith's sell it in bulk... or if you're really great then you grow your own basil and then it is free!
- Fresh cheese is the best... please don't buy the powder "parmesan" cheese and expect it to be okay... I know it's cheaper... but just trust me on this!

Anyway, On to the recipe! Drool... yumm!!

PESTO:
1 Cup Basil
1 Cup Parsley
1 Cup pine-nuts
3-4 medium cloves of garlic
3/4- 1 cup Olive oil
1 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
1/4 Cup grated Romano Cheese.

Directions:
In a food processor combine basil, parsley, pine nuts, and garlic. Pulse to chop. Chop it up until it is all mixed really well!
Add Oil with motor running... The food processor I use doesn't let the motor run without the lid on.. so I just add half, run the motor and then add the other half.
Then add the chesses and run the motor.... and you are done!! Easy peasy..

This is not supposed to be a super liquidy sauce... if you want it more liquidy... add more olive oil. If you are using it on Pasta.... get the pasta, add as much pesto as you want to it and then toss it really well to coat all of the noodles!

TRY IT... you will LOVE IT! It's my FAVORITE!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE!!

4 comments:

Brooke said...

Oh we LOVE pesto too! I have never made it homemade though...I'll have to try that sometime. We like to mix it with a little mayo and make pesto mayo, and then it's sooo good on paninis-with fresh moz and tomato. YUM! Thanks for the recipe!

Alyse said...

I love pesto! Too bad Lando doesn't! Maybe he'll like your recipe! Keep these coming, lady! I'm always looking for new recipes to try!

Mark and Allison said...

My mother-in-law has this great chip dip recipe with pesto. You layer a mixture of cream cheese and butter, pesto with more cheese, and sun dried tomatoes. You eat it with tortilla chips or bagel chips. It's so addicting!

brittanydaw said...

I want to try this!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...