Friday, September 10, 2010

My 9/11 Story


Everyone has their own 9/11 story. Everyone can think back to what they were doing when they found out and what they were doing for the rest of the day. This is mine.

I was in 8th grade. I lived in Moorestown, NJ and I was the new girl. I only had a small circle of friends at that point, everything was new to me, everything was foreign. I was suddenly a religious minority when I had grown up my whole life being the majority...things were a little strange for me at this point... I was experiencing a lot of NEW and different things.

I remember sitting down at the lunch table when the girls around me started talking about the twin towers... and going on about planes hitting them etc... and that they had collapsed. Now of course, I had been to New York before and I knew what the twin towers were but I don't think I had really grasped how catastrophic this entire thing was... To me it was just another terrible thing that you heard about on the news...I didn't really get it, I wasn't TOO concerned (sad I know... but it's the truth... I really didn't get it yet) After lunch we went to recess ( i know weird right? ) and I remember student after student after student getting pulled inside and checked out of school by their parents. This is when things really started to settle in. Everyone was chatting about "so and so's dad, uncle, aunt, brother, grandpa, etc.. worked at the world trade center" and things were starting to hit home. People around me were being directly affected by what had happened. Although, I think a lot of students went home that day simply because of how much fear there was in the air... how many parents just wanted to keep their children close, and I can't say that I blame them. My mom said she had the said thought process.

My next class was Spanish and things continued as normal..well almost. My Spanish teacher continued to teach our class but you could tell she was totally off her game. All three of her children lived in New York near the Trade Centers and she hadn't heard from any of them. Phone calls were so hard to get during this time. However, during this class period FINALLY all three of her children were able to call and tell her that they were okay. You could see the relief in her face, relief that her family at least was okay. I also remember one of the history teachers had turned on the news and let the kids watch the coverage until the Principal came in and turned it off because too many of the students knew someone who worked there and since no one knew what was going on, many students were left in tears. I couldn't wait to go home.

When my mom picked me up from school that day I remember we were all in a little bit of shock...I found out that a couple of people from church worked in the towers for some "reason" they decided to work from home that day, or their alarm clock hadn't gone off. (yeah some "reason"....) And then I remember being glued to the television the rest of the day. I remember watching the footage of people jumping off buildings, seeing all the people come through the ash and the look of absolute shock and horror on their faces. I think we all had looks like that. It was awful and I remember praying several times silently as well as with my family many times that night. Praying for all the those people and all of their families.

I remember feeling so many feelings. I couldn't believe that this had actually happened.....that somebody had actually attacked our country. I remember feeling scared but my parents were such great examples of people with Faith and the fear soon left. I remember how much I loved my country, I remember seeing the Flags flying everywhere. I remember realizing what a wonderful country we live in. I remember realizing ALL the many freedoms that we enjoyed here in this country.. .......
I REMEMBER.... DO YOU?

God Bless America!!

My heart goes out to all the friends and family who lost someone that day. Thank you and God bless those who sacrificed their lives while saving so many.

2 comments:

Chelsea said...

My story is obviously very similar to yours. It's so crazy how every detail feels like it happened yesterday.

Kelly Jean said...

Wow, touching memory, Lar. Gave me goosebumps. It's crazy how we remember such traumatic events... even though it was so long ago. And it's amazing how God's hand is in everything - like church workers who had "reasons" not to go to the towers that day. Thanks for the post. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...